Saturday, August 22, 2009

Falling lights are fading... (updated)

Apparently, Dr. Suess wrote The Cat in the Hat using around 240 first grade level words. Tonight I'll be working on doing the same, only about the post-apocalypse.

I know it's a bad idea, but that's why I'm going to do it.

---
Here's what I scribbled down before I passed out.

The Night Is Not Nice

My name is Alex. I have a big brother who is named Sam.
We were in our house, the night the animals came.
It was right after that rain quit and the air went bad.
And for a week we hadn't seen our mom or dad.
The animals knocked on our door, and said they were going to have some fun with us.
My brother said "No!"
The animals kicked the door.
Again and again, they kicked the door.
And soon it came down.
My brother said to me, "You go that way, and I'll go this way.
Go to the school. 'I can always help,' that's what Teacher used to say."
I ran and ran and ran, and made it to the school.
But the animals saw me and came to school, too.
I went to Teacher's room. She had a boy and a girl with her.
Teacher saw me, and said, "Who are you?"
"I am Sam's little brother," I said.
"Come in, come in," she said as she pulled me in.
"But we need to go, the animals are coming."

----
Obviously it'd be nice to have more descriptive words. I'm working with only about 150, whereas Suess had about 500 to work with. I went with the first decent word last I could find, and so I know I'm missing some necessary words (there's no "I" or "a" or "too," which, as sight words, count). I'll raid a few books for words and see what I can get put together.

No comments: